Founded in 1986, Ka Hale A Ke Ola Homeless Resource Centers is a non-profit organization providing emergency and Transitional shelter, rental assistance, and supportive services to unsheltered individuals and families. Additionally, KHAKO manages a 200-unit and 30-unit low-income rental housing facility that provides permanent housing to more than 700 residents on the island of Maui.
Reporting to the executive director (ED), the Deputy Director will have both internal and external facing responsibilities, ranging from client and project management (business development, framing of key approaches, high-quality client delivery, grant writing and compliance) to administration (information technology, reporting, facilities), and human capital (HR/recruiting, mentoring, career progression). The Deputy Director will collaborate closely with the ED to chart KHAKO’s future growth and strategic response to an ever-increasing demand for the organization’s services to assist homeless population on Maui and low-income rental housing.
Project Development, Management, and Client Relations/Management
• Structure and lead teams to deliver outstanding client work.
• Build and maintain strong client relationships; exceptional relationship-builder.
• Represent KHAKO in industry-group conferences, professional associations, and other public venues.
• Develop thought leadership around specific topics/emerging practice areas.
• Share in knowledge dissemination, reporting, and communications.
• Collaborate with the ED in essential internal agency leadership activities (human resources, administration, and organizational planning).
• Manage increasing segments of information technology, human resources (recruiting, reviews, staff deployment/workload balancing, and career progression) with related internal communications and budgeting/finance duties.
• Identify best practices and improve internal systems with an eye toward future needs and budget realities.
• Mentoring, coaching; visible, approachable sounding board/resource
• 5-plus distinguished years in a senior management position in a nonprofit organization, foundation, or government agencies
• Track record delivering superior results, commanding respect, and assuming leadership roles
• Success in roles requiring execution of multiple tasks while responding to multiple priorities
• Proven ability to work with efficiency, flexibility, and good humor
• Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide array of people – junior and senior, for-profit and nonprofit, and from diverse backgrounds
• Operates with excellence in mind in all matters, with the confidence to defend/debate ideas without ego interfering
• Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills are essential
• Passionate about KHAKO mission and impact
• Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in internal and external organizational settings
• Transparent, direct, with substance
• Self-starter, self-disciplined
• Inspiration, imagination, creativity
• Remain focused in the face of pressure, delivers against timelines, not intimidated by tasks/time limitations
Minimum Educational Requirements
1. Advanced degree from a leading university with major course work in Human Services and/or Business Administration
2. Minimum 5 years’ experience in related fields (homeless services, affordable housing management, property management).
Salary and Benefits:
1. Salary commensurate with education and experience
2. Medical and dental insurance
3. Retirement Plan – 403(b)
4. Group life and disability insurance
5. Paid personal leave
6. Paid holiday leave in accordance with Hawaii State holiday schedule
7. Travel mileage
8. Paid training opportunities relevant to position
Applicants may apply by sending a cover letter of interest, resume, and writing sample of experience .