Respite Specialist – Wailuku
Compensation: Depending on Location
Employment Type: Full-Time
Respite Specialists are on-site during hours of operation to assist participants with supportive monitoring. Specialist will offer resources and referrals to help participant progress toward goals. Respite Specialist provides oversight of the physical premises to ensure security and safety of the participants. Respite Specialist will document pertinent information in reports and case notes along with keeping accurate spreadsheets for reporting purposes.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Completes intakes for Respite participants and GAP program to include but not limited to MEO and Drug Court participants.
- Provides general oversight of the Respite unit to ensure security of the premises and safety and supervises all participants.
- During an assigned shift, settles disputes, and oversees cleanliness of unit.
- Enforces rules and regulations dictated by Respite unit.
- Orientates participants on where and how to obtain meals.
- Writes reports of participants’ behavior and activity.
- Complete and update case notes and submits incident reports to Housing Program Manager.
- Ensures all participants attend doctor appointments and schedule transportation as needed.
- Observes any alteration or idiosyncrasies in Participants’ behaviors and reports them to Housing Program Manager.
- Identifies signs of Participants’ potential harm to self or others, and addresses these accordingly.
- Engages Participants in conversation and encourages socializing.
- Provides resources for participants when appropriate.
- Consults with social workers from Maui Memorial medical Center as appropriate.
- Is thoroughly familiar with the rules and regulations of the Respite unit and understands the mission, vision and philosophy of the program.
- Is trained in the use of First Aid and CPR and performs those skills as required.
- Perform weekly unit inspections for cleanliness and damages to the unit.
- Prepares daily and weekly written records, incident reports and discontinuation or services as required.
- Available to work all shifts for a 24 hours/7 days per week operation.
- On-call availability for shift coverage outside of primary work hours.
- Prepares and distributes daily morning reports including but not limited to daily census updates to Maui Memorial Medical Center staff.
- Provides case management to GAP program (MEO, Drug Court, etc) participants.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities of a Respite Specialist
- Demonstrates patience and empathy
- Exhibits strong organizational skills
- Maintains friendly and outgoing demeanor
- Possesses excellent interpersonal and conversational skills
- Is willing and able to stay at group home overnight as necessary
- Possesses excellent problem-solving and conflict resolution skills
- Works well with a variety of individuals
- Communicates clearly and effectively
- Maintains an encouraging and compassionate attitude
- Remains calm during stressful situations
- Works calmly and efficiently in a crisis
- Exhibits excellent listening skills
- To read, write and comprehend the English Language
- Must be familiar with computers, Microsoft Word
- To interact with Participants from all walks of life and from all backgrounds, withholding judgment and treating all with fairness and respect
- To effectively communicate, present information and respond adequately to questions
- To identify and define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- To interpret rules and procedures to Participant having different levels of comprehension and competence
- To maintain firm but friendly control over a number of Participants with varying needs and background
- Must have High School diploma or equivalent
- Two (2) years of progression, work experience in health, human services, and/or housing
- Work experience in counseling, social work, or group home desirable
KHAKO requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless a medical or religious exemption is approved. Being fully vaccinated means that an individual is at least two weeks past their final dose of final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination.
KHAKO is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, lactation, arrest and court record or any other protected category recognized by state and federal laws.