670 Waiale Road
Wailuku, HI 96793
15 Ipu'Aumakua Lane
Lahaina, HI 96761
Compensation: Depending on Experience
Employment Type: Full-Time
KHAKO operates a medical Respite Shelter for medically fragile houseless persons and offers sober living space for Substance Use Treatment clients. The Residential Aide (R.A.) is on-site during hours of operation to assist with supportive monitoring. The R.A. will offer resources and referrals to help participant progress toward assessed goals. Residential Aide provides oversight of the physical premises to ensure the security and safety of the participants. Residential Aide will document pertinent information in reports and case notes along with keeping accurate spreadsheets for reporting purposes.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
1. Provides general oversight of the Respite unit and Sober Living Program (SLP) units to ensure the security of the premises and safety and supervises all Participants.
2. During an assigned shift, settles disputes, and oversees cleanliness of unit.
3. Enforces rules and regulations dictated by the Respite unit and SLP units.
4. Orientates participants on where and how to obtain meals.
5. Writes reports of participants’ behavior and activity.
6. Complete and update case notes and submits incident reports to Housing Program Manager.
7. Ensures all participants attend doctor appointments and schedule transportation as needed.
8. Observes any alteration or idiosyncrasies in Participants’ behaviors and reports them to Housing Program Manager.
9. Identifies signs of Participants’ potential harm to self or others and addresses these accordingly.
10. Engages Participants in conversation and encourages socializing.
11. Provides resources for participants when appropriate.
12. Consults with social workers from Maui Memorial Medical Center as appropriate.
13. Oversees the general cleanliness of the property and unit by performing independent checks.
14. Is thoroughly familiar with the rules and regulations of the Respite unit and understands the mission, vision, and philosophy of the program.
15. Is trained in the use of First Aid and CPR and performs those skills as required.
16. Perform weekly unit inspections for cleanliness and damages to the unit.
17. Prepares daily and weekly written records, incident reports and discontinuation or services as required.
18. Available to work all shifts for a 24 hours/7 days per week operation.
19. On-call availability for shift coverage outside of primary work hours.
20. Prepares and distributes daily morning reports including but not limited to daily census updates to Maui Memorial Medical Center staff.
21. Engage – Connect with sober living residents in the home to offer support and guidance.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities of a Residential Aide:
1. Demonstrates patience and empathy
2. Exhibits strong organizational skills
3. Maintains a friendly and outgoing demeanour
4. Possesses excellent interpersonal and conversational skills
5. Possesses excellent problem-solving and conflict-resolution skills
6. Works well with a variety of individuals
7. Communicates clearly and effectively
8. Maintains an encouraging and compassionate attitude
9. Remains calm during stressful situations
10. Recognizes the basic symptoms of changes in behavior or thought patterns
11. Works calmly and efficiently in a crisis
12. Exhibits excellent listening skills
13. To read, write and comprehend the English Language
14. Must be familiar with computers, Microsoft Word
15. To interact with Participants from all walks of life and from all backgrounds, withholding judgment and treating all with fairness and respect
16. To effectively communicate, present information and respond adequately to questions
17. To identify and define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
18. To interpret rules and procedures to Participant having different levels of comprehension and competence
19. To maintain firm but friendly control over a number of Participants with varying needs and background
1. Must have High School diploma or equivalent
2. Two (2) years of progression, work experience in health, human services, and/or housing
3. Work experience in counseling, social work, or group home desirable